Don’t run out of storage for playing Genshin Impact — here’s how to effectively manage your storage space in Genshin Impact.
Downloading Genshin Impact is a top choice among gamers thanks to its reputation as one of Android’s best games that also serves as a handy benchmark to test the top Android phones on the market. But installing the app doesn’t come without a price. The undeniably large storage size of Genshin Impact strains our internal storage.
In addition, most modern-day phones and tablets struggle to match the game’s sizable updates since arriving in Inazuma during Version 2.0 and the behemoth launch of Version 3.0 while journeying in Sumeru.
Unfortunately, the problem cannot be swept under the rug, as HoYoverse treats Genshin Impact like a continuous anime arc, where every update has deeply rooted story quests, flashy characters, and limited-time events — all in addition to waiting for the next story arcs held in Fontaine, Natlan, and Snezhnaya.
Unfortunately, maintaining internal hardware upgrades or cashing in on sizeable SD cards isn’t feasible for everyone. Furthermore, nuking our gaming library and media space to make room for Genshin Impact is also a hard pill to swallow.
But for now, the problem is ours to solve, and that’s why Android Police has analyzed the best practices to optimize your mobile storage space for Genshin Impact, helping your phone or tablet cope with this monstrous game.
What you need to know about Genshin Impact’s pre-installation
The pre-installation feature for Genshin Impact comes with some pros and cons. The obvious pro for using the feature is that it is a significant time-saver by allowing you to download in-game resources before a scheduled update; unfortunately, it still means we are holding onto the current patch resources while trying to download new ones.
In actuality, installing these hefty files makes your current version even more bloated in size. Thankfully HoYoverse does sometimes shrink the scope of pre-installation files by removing old unused assets from older event quests for upcoming updates, but this is only sometimes the case.
Finding a compromise with update file sizes
Cutting down the update file size is not impossible, but you can clean out the unused files from the previous patch first and then download the new update on release. This way, you can shave off some space with a minimal time investment, especially with a speedy internet connection. But this isn’t always the case, and sometimes you’re sharing bandwidth with the rest of your household, which means scheduling the pre-installation will likely benefit you more.
Clear the cache for Genshin Impact
Clearing your cache removes the temporary files associated with the Genshin Impact app. Routinely clearing your cache will free up some storage space, and, in some cases, improve your app’s and device’s performance. Read our steps to learn how to get started on this practice.
- Navigate to your device’s settings by tapping Settings > Applications or Apps to open the app manager. Depending on your device, you may be required to tap on an additional option to access your app list.
- Once in the manager, scroll down and locate Genshin Impact. Tap on Genshin Impact to view the app information.
- On Genshin Impact’s information page, tap on Storage. From here, you can clear data or clear the cache, but for now, we only want to clear the cache.
- Tap Clear cache to finish. Note: The space you regain from clearing your cache will depend on how frequently you perform this step, meaning if you clear it daily, the difference will seem subtle.
Uninstalling unused language packs
You can uninstall unused voice packs for different languages to help conserve storage, saving up to a few gigabytes per language pack, so this has the potential to be a huge space-saver. Managing your language packs is simple; here’s how to do it.
Note: Fresh app installs don’t come with all language packs anymore.
- Launch the Genshin Impact application to load up the game from your device.
- Tap the Paimon icon to bring up your main menu and tap on Settings (gear icon).
- Under settings, scroll down and tap Language; you can manage your voice-over and game language here.
- To begin uninstalling unused voice packs, tap on Manage Voice-Over Files (located in the bottom-left corner) > Uninstall.
- If you wish to reinstall other language packs later, tap on the Voice-Over Language dropdown menu and then tap Confirm.
You may also like:
Re-installing Genshin Impact
Treat this option as a last resort when cleaning out your storage space. Collective updates can leave behind unused files (e.g., old events and quests), which will sneakily eat up your storage. Instilling fresh installations is the only way to eliminate these files.
- On your device, return to the app manager under settings.
- Tap on Genshin Impact, select Uninstall, and tap OK to confirm.
- To begin reinstallation, open Google Play Store and search Genshin Impact.
- Tap Install and launch the app to finish the process. The time it takes to reinstall the game will depend on your internet connection; we recommend using this method sparingly when desperately trying to squeeze out some extra space.
Clearing the app data
An alternative to uninstalling and reinstalling the game, clearing the app data will eradicate any lingering files from your device, essentially factory resetting the application. We recommend clearing the data when you’re dealing with issues like a corrupted update file, or if the game’s having trouble loading or running at all.
Note: Once you’ve cleared the app data, you’ll lose all saved information, including your login credentials.
To begin clearing the app data on your device, navigate to Settings > Applications or Apps > App info > Storage > Clear data.
Recently HoYoverse implemented a quest resource management tool; essentially, you have the option to delete past event data like completed Archon quests and other story quests. It may only shave off a few gigs of data, but every little bit helps. If you change your mind later, you can always re-download the quest resource data after you’ve deleted it.
How to delete your quest resources data
- Navigate to Settings > Resources.
- Tap on Quest Resource Management > Uninstall.
If all else fails, look into cloud gaming
Thankfully, with Nvidia’s GeForce NOW, Genshin Impact is available to play, meaning you can bypass downloading the game and never worry about the headache of storage space ever again. However, since this is a cloud gaming service, expect the mileage to vary regarding performance. But it’s one of the best options, especially when your device’s storage space is at death’s doors.
Go big or go home with Genshin Impact
As it stands, Genshin Impact’s monthly update occurs every six weeks; some patches are meatier than others, like the annual regional update, and outliers containing new permanent game modes, such as Genshin Impact trading card game Genius Invocation. As a result, it leaves us no choice but to adopt the “go big or go home” strategy. But unfortunately, not all of us own a 128GB device or have an available SD slot.
We can only shrink the problem for now until HoYoverse deploys more tools. In the meantime, focus on the pleasant distractions (while still possible) like acquiring character freebies and the gacha and leisurely exploring Sumeru — and hopefully, as things progress, HoYoverse will devise a plan to make Genshin Impact’s size more tolerable on mobile. After all, it would be a shame to miss out on experiencing first-hand the ending of this grand arc.
That’s all the details about how to effectively manage your storage space in Genshin Impact that you shouldn’t miss. Leave feedback in the section below if you have a question about the article.