Learn more about the Complete Age of Empires 2 Cheats and How to Cheat in the section below.
In the single-player mode Skirmishes, the greatest Age of Empires 2 cheats will come in handy. Sadly, cheat codes are ineffective when playing with others online. This is unfortunate because a couple of them are really enjoyable. It’s important to keep in mind that using cheats in Skirmishes will prevent you from obtaining accomplishments, so only use them when you’re not trying to earn Xbox or Steam achievements.
Great news for anyone playing the original, HD remake, and Definitive editions of the game is that all cheat codes should function in all versions of it as well. The Cobra Vehicle unit and flying dogs should not be missed by anyone. Continue reading for instructions on using hacks in Age of Empires 2 as well as a complete list of all cheat codes and their functions.
How to use Age of Empires 2 cheats
Age of Empires 2 cheats require you to open the chat box by pressing Enter, then type the desired code and hit Enter again to activate it.
It’s important to note that using cheat codes will prevent you from earning accomplishments, so avoid doing so if you’re looking for them on Steam or Xbox. All codes only function in single-player modes; cheats cannot be used in multiplayer games.
If you want to use any cheats, make sure to allow them when setting up a single-player Skirmish. One of the best is the unit that may be summoned, the Cobra Car. Below is a list of every cheat code in the game, along with information on what each one does.
Age of Empires 2 has command-line exploits as well. Before you begin playing the game, these command-line cheats are activated. The Shortcut Target Line for the game must be manually edited. Follow these steps to accomplish this:
- Age of Empires 2 should have a desktop shortcut created.
- Click the shortcut’s right arrow.
- Choosing Properties.
- Use the space key to insert a hyphen in the Target Box after the final set of quote marks.
- Type the desired command line hack immediately after the hyphen (without a space).
- Choose Apply, then click OK.
- To get rid of the command line trick, just remove the text that comes right before the closing quote marks.
The Complete Age of Empires 2 Cheats List
The following is a list of every cheat code for Age of Empires 2:
- !mute: Mutes all taunts.
- !nomute: Unmutes taunts.
- aegis: Makes you build faster.
- black death: Kills all opponents.
- cheese steak jimmy’s: Grants 1,000 Food (10,000 in the HD remake and Definitive Edition).
- furious the monkey boy: Summons Little Monkeys.
- how do you turn this on: Summons a Cobra Car unit (should appear by your town centre).
- i love the monkey head: Summons a VDML unit to your town centre.
- i r winner: Grants instant victory.
- lumberjack: Grants 1,000 Wood (10,000 in the HD remake and Definitive Edition).
- marco: You can see the entire map (including enemies).
- natural wonders: Gives you control of all animals on the map (removes control of your nation).
- ninjaconnor: Grants 100,000 of each resource (you’ll need The Forgotten expansion pack for this one to work).
- polo: Removes map shadows.
- resign: Makes you instantly lose.
- robin hood: Grants 1,000 Gold (10,000 in the HD remake and Definitive Edition).
- rock on: Grants 1,000 Stone (10,000 in the HD remake and Definitive Edition).
- to smithereens: Summons a Saboteur.
- torpedo <number>: Kills a specific opponent instantly and removes them from the game (type in “torpedo (number of enemy player you wish to destroy).
- wimpywimpywimpy: Commit suicide.
- woof woof: Summons Flying Dog animals on the map.
To enable Rapid building, press CTRL and Q, and to establish an immutable structure, press CTRL and P.
The Command Line for Age of Empires 2 Cheats
To add any of these command lines to your Age of Empires 2 shortcut before starting the game, follow the directions above.
- 1024: 1024 x 768 screen resolution (standard edition only).
- 1280: 1280 x 1024 screen resolution (standard edition only).
- 800: 800 x 600 screen resolution (standard edition only).
- AutoMPsave: Auto saves enabled.
- BASEGAME_HIDDEN: Disables The Conquerors expansion (doesn’t uninstall it).
- DLC1_HIDDEN: Disables The Forgotten expansion (doesn’t uninstall it).
- DLC2_HIDDEN: Disables the African Kingdoms expansion (doesn’t uninstall it).
- DLC3_HIDDEN: Disables the Rise of Rajas expansion (doesn’t uninstall it).
- FASTREPLAY: Replays play in fast-pace.
- FASTVALIDATE: Increases processing speed.
- Mfill: Should fix some display issues.
- Msync: Should fix some sound problems.
- NOMODS: Disables all mods and skips the opening movie.
- NoMusic: Removes all music.
- NormalMouse: Applies the standard mouse pointer.
- NoSound: Removes all sounds apart from FMVs.
- NoStartUp: Removes pre-game FMVs.
- NoTerrainSound: Removes sounds from the terrain.
- OLD_SCHOOL: Changes the font to classic Lucida Blackletter.
- FASTVALIDATE: Increases processing speed.